Thursday, May 24, 2018

Seize the Birthday - Pattern Paper

The Challenge over at Seize the Birthday is to have Pattern Paper on your birthday card!
Our "Toppings" option this time is...

                           
If you're not a toppings kinda person, well.....you can just
stick with our usual "Anything Goes"Birthday!
The choice is yours!
 
I have a problem with pattern paper, I like it, I just don't know how to use it very well.  Just can't make them seem to go together like some of my other crafty friends do. So I went to YouTube. 
My friend Kristen Warner had several videos on using pattern paper.  
She said to follow these pattern paper rules.  
 Large/Med +  Small+  Solid  = Contrast      
These rules helped me to pick out the papers that I used on my card. 

Here are the papers I picked.  Notice the stamp set in the background.  I used that too as the flower matches the flower in the pattern paper.  I also use some pearls from my stash.  Sorry, I don't know where I got these papers, probably from a friend. 

Here is the card that I made for your inspiration.  
 The stamp set is from Altenew and is called Persian Motif.  The base if gray cardstock and I used some Sweet Melon solid cardstock too. 

I used my Spectrum Noir markers to color the flower.  
I can't wait to see what you all do using your pattern papers. 
If you need more inspiration, please see what my teammates at Seize the Birthday Challenge have done for you. 
We have a new Surprise Party guest for you too. Her name is Sonjak and you can find her blog Here

12 comments:

  1. I am like you...I have great difficulty using pattern papers. i will try to keep that rule in mind because it really works here. Love how You picked up the hint of orange in the flowered paper and just used a sliver of the orange on the side of your flower. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful and great way to figure out what papers to use too! Thanks for sharing that information. Your card looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Barbara. Love your coloring of that pretty flower and the great pattern papers you used with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you used it brilliantly here! I love your colors and patterns! My goodness that flower is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally love the coloring of your flower

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your PP's look lovely with your image Barbara! Hope you are enjoying your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great color choices and beautiful papers. I love that your stamp matches one of the papers. What's the chance of that happening? Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous card! I totally love how you've matched the pattern paper and your stamped image, which, by the way, is looking wonderful! Totally love it, Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara what a pretty card, and you've matched the stamp set to your patterned paper perfectly! Thanks for sharing the video from Kristina, too. She had some great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Barbara!! Beautiful pick of the papers too and I love the pretty flower, I think I 'need' more flower stamps....I have tons of pretty papers that I also need to use more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally love your use of patterned paper here. I have the same issues. I love pp but I very seldom use it because I find it difficult to match. Your card looks so pretty. Great idea to match your image to the pp to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, you nailed the patterned paper thing. I LOVE this. So much interest and great color choices. That floral paper of from Stampin' Up. I have some....I dunno, maybe I gave it to you..lol. This is so cool, especially since the flower matches the paper so well. I really, REALLY love this!!!

    ReplyDelete